Belize Retirement News

December 12, 2012 - How to Get a Belize Tourist Card

Thinking about staying in Belize for awhile, perhaps eventually relocating to Belize, but not ready to commit to a long-term residency process? The Belize tourist card, also known as a visitor’s visa, might be a good fit for you.

The Belize visitor’s visa enables you to live in Belize (and fall in love with everything the country has to offer) on a monthly basis. Simply go to a Belize immigration office and renew the card for $25/month for up to six months. After six months, you do not have to leave Belize, as would be the case almost everywhere else in the Americas. But the price of staying does increase to $50/month. (At which point, you might want to look into permanent residency.)

The permanent residents of many countries can obtain a tourist card without applying in advance. Countries where this is the case include those comprising CARICOM, the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Norway, Venezuela, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Colombia, Guatemala, Brazil, and Japan. Residents of other nations need to apply in advance for a tourist card before they travel to Belize.

Photo of flags as part of Belize Retirement page by Belize lawyers, Belize attorneys, retire in Belize, Belize retirement lawyer, Belize retirement attorney

Once in hand, a Belize visitor’s visa allows you to travel everywhere in our country, as well as buy or rent property. But keep in mind you’re prohibited from working according to Belize immigration law. And you might need to show proof of sufficient funds ($60/day) when renewing the tourist card. Check out the links to get started.

And if you have any questions, our Belize retirement lawyers are here to help. We have been helping people find a better life in Belize for more than a decade. When you have any question about visiting Belize or retirement in Belize or buying land in Belize, please think of us as your go-to Belize legal firm for answers. Contact us today.


Return to main Retirement News page